On October 6th, several women from the Trexin Women In Business (WIB) group attended TEDxChicago, an independently organized TED event that took place in downtown Chicago.
The event showcased seven speakers covering a variety of topics, including the science of motivation, the value of sports in culture, and the future of cancer research. Between speakers, local performance groups took the stage to entertain and spread awareness of social causes. The Trexin WIB group enjoyed a fun social outing together and expanded their knowledge of interesting and relevant topics.
The speakers of the event included:
- David Williams – a youth advocate and the Chief Program Officer of Youth Advocate Programs, Inc. (YAP), a social justice nonprofit focused on reducing youth incarcerations
- Ayelet Fishbach, PhD – a motivation scientist and Professor of Behavioral Science at the University of Chicago Booth School of Business
- AJ Maestas – a sports and entertainment industry strategist and founder of Navigate, a data-driven consulting firm focused on sports and entertainment
- Dr. Y. Shirley Meng – a materials scientist and professor at the Pritzker School of Molecular Engineering
- Dr. Shana Kelley – a cancer researcher, President of the Chan Zuckerberg Biohub Chicago, and professor at Northwestern University
- Aziz Huq – a constitutional law scholar at the University of Chicago
- James Evans – a computational social scientist and professor of sociology at the University of Chicago
The on-stage performers of the event included:
- Guitars Over Guns – a local Chicago organization empowering young people through music and mentorship
- Pinqy Ring – a Chicago-Puerto Rican rapper who uses hip hop as a transformative tool to promote cultural change
- Movement of Desis – a Desi-Fusion dance company showcasing the richness of Desi heritage
- Nola Adé – a visionary and afrosoul vocalist who inspires audiences through music